Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
40-gallon fuel tank (which surprised me)--could barely get 300 miles before the light would come on.

138" wheelbase (only a 16 footer)--at least that is what the VIN decoder says.

The reason I asked such a specific and strange question is that I’ve been curious as to why motorhome manufacturers don’t use the available 176” wheelbase chassis to a greater extent.

A few weeks ago I saw two separate +/- 16’ moving trucks in the neighborhood like the one below, and it appeared from a distance that neither chassis had stretched wheelbase like typical Class Cs. The picture looks about right with ~ 10’ ahead of axle and ~ 6’ behind.

There are so many Class Cs in the 24 ~ 26 foot range that could be built on the unaltered 176” chassis that there must be a good reason as to why they don’t use it more. Why go to expense and trouble? The only spec that I’ve read that seemed odd was that 55-gallon fuel tank was only available on 158” wheelbase motorhome cutaway chassis.

If for some reason the 176” WB chassis is limited to 40-gallon fuel tank, I could see that being a problem in RVs getting 8 MPG, or sometimes less. You’d have to fill up every +/- 250 miles, and that assumes not running generator too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	749CE9C1-D186-47EF-BBFA-CEA7459494FA.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	10380  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum