Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
jwcorry

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
When our 3 - 12V wet-cell OEM house and chassis batteries went bad, I replaced them with 4 - 6V deep cycle AGMs for the house and a 12V AGM for the chassis. I've replaced wet-cell batteries with AGM technology in my boats and got enhanced service life and performance from them. Also, they are maintenance free, can be mounted in any position other than upside down, and tolerate vibration better than wet-cell. I am no electrician; however, my understanding is all (house and chassis) batteries need to be of the same technology (e.g., AGM) for the converter/inverter charging system to work properly. Further, 6V Golf Cart type batteries, regardless of technology, are true deep cycle batteries vs 12V, which are, at best, a compromise deep cycle/starting battery. Therefore, the 6V option provides better deep cycle performance and longevity.

Potential downsides are added expense, weight and space requirements. Fortunately, my situation did not require any modifications to accommodate the 2 additional batteries. And I believe the added upfront expense will be mitigated, if not outright balanced, by the addition of the 6Vs and AGM technology.

Hope this helps

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum