Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 AM   #1
Firedog91902

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #11959
Coach batteries not charging from engine alternator

I don't have a Thor and I ask for help a few days ago in the wrong place (modifications and updates) and I still got some helpful responses! Thank you guys. I'm now starting to understand the problem.

The RV is a 25' Dynamax Isata (2003) which is a pretty high end RV. It has a Intellitec BD0 coach battery disconnect that seem to work fine and a "emergency" start button and isolator relay that also works fine. It doesn't seem to have a BIRD or a second chassis battery disconnect solenoid. I found the Isata wiring diagram and have attached that and a photo of the solenoids. They are mounted on a plastic base which I think is just a fuse/junction box not a BIRD.

Since dry camping more than one night in a row is rare for us, I don't think it's worth adding a complete BIRD system. I'm not sure it is even possible.

I did discover that locking down the "emergency start" button, while the engine is on, connects both batteries and starts charging the coach battery from the engine. I'm wondering if occasionally doing that would cause trouble elsewhere. The isolator relay has no label but i know they come in "intermittent" and "continuous" flavors. From it's intended use, its probably intermittent. Changing to the continuous wouldn't be difficult.

I'd appreciate any suggestion or comments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt disconnect bd0.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	10768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoids to batteries.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	10769  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum