Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
property@wvi.com

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #8222
Paint codes for Thor Ace

Ron at Thor advised me my 2014 27.1 Thor Ace was gel coated epoxy fiberglass. Local very experienced boat shop manager said if it is Gel coated it can’t be Epoxy fiberglass it is polyester fiberglass.

I added 4 layers of matting using polyester resin to back side and it took well and hardened. I then broke off the thumb size cracked chip off crack on outside and sanded down with 220 grit to the wide T shape shown in picture. I may have sanded down to new fiberglass on inside but not sure.

After adding the resin and matting on backside the light didn’t shine through. After I sanded down the crack the light shown through again.

See picture of sanded crack area on outside. My plan is to add 2 or 3 of increasing sized polyester resin matting to crack area on outside.

Then sand down and clean and fill back to normal shape with Evercoat 27 filler.

Then sand prime and paint.

Don’t know how to get paint code or paint from Sikkens so maybe send gelcoated chip to paint company to match beige gelcoat. Not absolutely sure if it is gelcoat or paint on front panel.

I can add a little brown pigment to the Evercoat 27 along with the white hardener that comes with it to attempt beige color, but unlikely to match.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with sanded T fiberglass depression is appreciated. Or suggestion on getting matching beige paint would also be appreciated.

The fiberglass front panel appears to be only .100 inch or so thick in areas of crack. No steel front bumper seen underneath.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E30F1D0-A093-4A0D-9BAA-25A9C7D861B3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	10773   Click image for larger version

Name:	19946639-3DB2-48AD-892D-F68C60511686.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	10774  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	10776  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum