Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: HDMI Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 04:47 AM   #3
HawkeyeFan

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 34bd
State: Iowa
THOR #2233
I have a 2013 Daybreak 34BD and am in the same boat with the coax cable. What I am doing right now is leaving the coax cable in place for all the TVs and running CAT6 networking cable with baluns to all the TVs. I am doing this for two reasons: First, CAT6 is cheaper than HDMI (a lot cheaper because for runs over 20ft you are going to need active HDMI cables which start around $100.00) and it is a lot easier to drill 1/4" holes than bigger holes for the HDMI ends. Secondly, leaving the coax cable allows for use of the antenna and over-the-air local TV. With having the CAT6 cable run, that will get you up to 1080P to all three TVs and I also ran an additional set to an outside compartment for setting up an outside TV (tailgating). From there, I got a standard 4x4 HDMI switch that I have our satellite dish, blueray, and the kids gaming system with room for expansion. I even got 4 different colors of CAT6 cables so getting the TVs labeled was easy. One suggestion I might also make is to spend the extra money and get a "one remote". With that you can control all the functions of all the TVs, players, satellite, etc... from one place. You don't even need line-of-sight to do it and it works well even from outside.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum