Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #39
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
For the most part, I think that a dolly might mostly fit under the rear overhang of the motorhome when at the campsite, so I would not be too worried about one of those. A trailer, on the other hand may be an issue in some campgrounds.

You will find campsites that vary from having plenty of room, to almost no room. Many of the State Park campsites in my state for example have been around for 50 years or more, and the largest RV back then was probably a 18ft trailer, and the campsites were sized accordingly.

So sometimes the campsites have little extra room; especially the ones in prime areas - such as along the Lake Michigan beach state park campgrounds.

You just have about enough room in those campsites for your motorhome and a small towed car (and no room for even a dolly). But that is somewhat of an exception, and those places usually have a side lot though that you can store your dolly or trailer.

Newer campgrounds typically have more space though, and no problem with a towed vehicle, trailer, or dolly.

Private parks in my area typically have more room, especially if they are pull-through, but it also varies depending on the "scenery" of the site.

So I would say that on the whole, you will find an occasional campsite with not enough room for a trailer or dolly. So plan on that eventuality, as rare as it might be, buy outfitting your toad with a trailer hitch.

It is a lot easier to move a dolly/trailer around in close quarters behind your car than with a motorhome, and you can simply disconnect everything at the entrance or staging area of the park (disconnect the toad and put the dolly/trailer on it), and put things where they need to be put. You won't need to do this every time, but for those few times you may need it, you will be glad you have that option.

We put a trailer hitch on our toad, not because of the need to transport a dolly, but for our hitch-mounted bicycle rack.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum