Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #91
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

....cut.....

What you see here is that the divider between the intake and output is firmly in place, its pretty well sealed up through the roof, and the freeze probe is dead center of the condenser (this is what it says on our datasheet re the A/C: A/C, ROOF, 13.5M BTU, MACH 3, BLACK--I gather I have a Mach 3 13,500 BTU A/C). We have a very early Axis so my guess is that Thor was building them more carefully at first...

.....cut......
Did you mean to write evaporator in lieu of condenser?

Your results are not unexpected. I designed and installed a few 300-Ton blast freezers with 10 X 30-Ton evaporators, and if you could stand the -40 F air moving at high speeds (wind chill close to -100 F), you could actually see the frost form on the coils (evaporators) over time. During start-up I made a lot of quick trips in and out in a freezer suit to collect data. Anyway, we fed liquid from bottom, which resulted in initial frosting at bottom, but for the most part the coils would frost throughout their entire surface before we’d put them through a hot-gas defrost cycle — one coil at a time so blast freezer could remain in operation at all times.

Ice would indeed form a little thicker at bottom near liquid feed, but the difference in temperature across the entire face of coil isn’t as large as some here would think. As long as there is liquid to evaporate, temperature differences across evaporator isn’t huge. If it were, something else needs to be corrected. It’s all pretty simple science when you break it down, and equipment manufacturers had a lot of great data we could confirm in field.

The same principles apply to air conditioning, except that when operating well above freezing, it makes design and operation much simpler. Coolers at or below 40 F air temperature have similar freezing issues, but at A/C room temperatures of +/- 70 F, it’s easy to avoid freezing by controlling the suction pressure.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum