Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #46
Forest Grump

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I have 2 360 AH Trojan 6v batteries. I have 3 160 watt panels, a 3000 watt inverter, Morningstar controller with remote, 6 g wiring run in flex conduit, 2/0 between inverter andbatteries. Everything is fused.

I just finished 5 days dry camping with the wife and two teenage granddaughters. We run toasters, TV, DVD, -hone chargers, slide, hair dryers, curlers, hair straighteners, air pumps; everything but the AC and the converter. Never started the generator. Solar panels should go directly to the battery. Oversized the wiring and be happy. Oversize the controller and be happy. Undersize something be sad. I have literally no loss, well 0.01. I’ve seen 27 amps ~ my theoretical.

I’ve seen installers use 16 g wiring from panel to controller, 14 gauge from controller to inverter tie in. System didn’t work. This was a trailer with a 20 to 25’ run from the battery to the inverter with factory wired 12 g.

There are several on line voltage calculators. Use them. Factory presided usually goes to the inverter not the batteries.

You can figure 1 watt solar for each Ah of battery. I went slightly over that.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum