Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Inverter/ chargers, including some Xantrex models, are available with 30-Amp or 50-Amp auto transfer switches.

When properly selected and installed, it does not limit shore power below the RV's original design. An RV with a 30-Amp service can still use all 30 amps while connected to utility.
I never stated the limitation is in the amperage provided, although, the Xantrex Freedom Inverter/charger is available in 45 Amp max.

What I said was that for the ATS feature of the Xantrex Freedom series inverter/chargers to function 120VAC circuit must be connected to the inverter. With all 120VAC circuits connected and possibly operational that could be one very large power draw and has the potential to drain batteries within a very short time if shore power is not available.

I can already hear the complaints from such a change:

Call to customer service: "Whenever I am disconnected from shore power my batteries drain in under an hour."

Solution from customer service: "Unplug all 120VAC appliances and turn off AC units before disconnecting shore power and turning on the inverter."

Posting to the Thor forum by an irate customer: "Who was the dumb A*# that designed this system; I'll never buy a Thor again!!!!"

I can also hear the possible solutions which include an EMS, more batteries, bigger batteries, etc... With all solutions there are trade offs and in RVs the primary tradeoffs are weight and cost. If you add 2 additional batteries what do you leave behind, food, water, clothing, your tow vehicle, spare parts, tools, the wife (oh gee honey, I had to add two batteries to the coach to keep the beer cool so you have to stay home this trip ).

For me, the better solution is to leave things alone, they work and are cheaper. If my ATS goes out it is a lot cheaper to replace a converter/charger than it would be to replace an entire Inverter/charger. That's my 50 cents.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum