Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
EVMIII

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Congrats on your retirement and thank you for your service. I retired from the USAF in 2007 with a similar plan. After a year of looking and looking we decided on a 5th Wheel (Alpine 3010) since I already owned a Chevy 3500 DRW to drag it around with. Used it often for 4 years; our last big trip (Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Tetons, Rushmore, etc) wife and I both agreed we would be happier with something smaller. So we started looking again and stumbled on the ACE (29.4, 30' long) Got much more than I expected in trade and made the deal. It's working great for the two of us, much easier to maneuver in tight spaces and plenty of power to drag around my jeep. Did a bunch of research prior to purchase ,diesel vs gas, and for our use gas made since. Be sure to match your lifestyle with your rig (Plan to spend more time in State and National Parks or at large rallies, etc...). As far a quality goes, they are all RVs and built as inexpensively as possible. Some seem to roll out better than others. The issues I have had have all been resolved under warranty so far.

I read somewhere that the first RV you buy is seldom the one you end up with, so if I were starting again I would by a used RV to start. Let someone else fight the initial problems and warranty (and depreciation) and use it to figure out what you want. Maybe you get lucky and get it right the first time. If not you have a much better idea of what you want when you replace it.

Best of luck with your decision, get out and enjoy. Safe travels.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum