Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #46
azadv

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
sorry for my dumb question, but just trying to learn, or understand here...doesn't the fridge run off the batterys already on 12v going down the road??? so what you are saying is the fridge is just 120v/ or propane???
No it doesn't, not in my coach. The fridge in this coach, and most coaches, is a 2-way fridge, meaning it runs on 120V when plugged in (or on generator) or on propane, but not on 12V. That would be a 3-way fridge and they cost a bit more which is why I'm sure most coaches come with a 2-way. Some rigs do have 3-ways, my old Arctic Fox cabover camper had one. When on 12V setting a 3-way fridge draws quite a bit of current so you can really only use it on 12V setting when traveling and your rigs alternator is providing a charge to the house batteries, or if you have adequate solar to use 12V during peak times of the day (what I did in AK for 5-6 hours/day). What I did was install a 12VDC to 120VAC inverter and plug the fridge's 120V plug into it. The inverter that came in this Outlaw (the original one used for entertainment that I used for the fridge) has an automatic transfer switch in it so if you plug into 120V or run the generator the 120V goes through the switch so you are using shore or generator 120V instead of converting the house 12V to 120V. I then replaced the original Xantrex 1000W inverter (that I used for the fridge) with a 1800W Xantrex (sorry I said it was 2000W in above post) and beefed up the 12V power cables to it from the house batteries, and connected the microwave 120V circuit to it.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum