Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
FACTS about Ford V10 Engine Characteristics and 5 Star Tuning...

I'm questioning my sanity here but there's SO MUCH misinformation on this site about technical issues that I felt compelled to straighten out some of it. Here goes...

On the characteristics of the Ford v10 engine...

1- It does NOT "like to rev". It is actually the most diesel-like of most any modern gas engine. There are actually many reasons (again, facts actually) why it SHOULDN'T be run much over 4k.

2- It WILL NOT make more power or get better gas mileage with premium fuel on stock engine calibrations. (The qualifier for this one is premium fuel IS a good idea when at low altitudes, in hot weather or towing heavy loads. It will still not improve mileage or power, it will simply keep the engine from knocking.)

3- It is extremely hard to hear this engine knocking, if you do, it's either something else or it's knocking BADLY.

On what 5 Star tuning does and doesn't do on the late model Ford V10...

1- It WILL NOT get you any better gas mileage. The 87 octane tune (most common) does nothing to help engine efficiency and actually by poorly managing the Power Enrichment, it will use MORE fuel at WOT. (Wide Open Throttle.)

2- It WILL NOT give you any more power whatsoever outside of WOT. The tune simply makes the throttle open at a lower pedal percentage to give the illusion of increased power.

3- It WILL NOT have any effect whatsoever on the amount of heat the engine produces. In theory you can hypothesize all kinds of things, in real life it WILL NOT make any difference.

I can't think of any others at the moment. I'm not interested in filling this thread with personal attacks or posts simply to increase a members post count. (That's my way of kindly asking a few key members to please leave this thread alone.) Lets try to keep this on subject and informative. I can back up every word I've said here with data, not just my "feelings" or links to somewhere else on the internet that I read more false information.

If you have honest questions and an open mind, feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer them with factual data.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum