Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #86
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
So in the F53 we’ll see effectively the same horsepower and torque we have now in the 6.8L. Good to know!
You’re correct — not much difference in “rated numbers”.

I hope, and expect, that in normal driving the new V8 will feel more refined, and pull significantly harder also.

At the maximum torque point on the curve, the V8 makes 362 HP (475 lb-ft at 4,000 RPM), while the 3-valve V10 makes 263 HP (460 lb-ft at 3,000 RPM).

For what it’s worth, I watched interview with Ford engineer (link below) who worked on engine, and as I suspected, the 3,900 RPMs for “both” power and torque are due to emissions regulations. Sounds like fuel economy may suffer significantly if above 3,900 RPMs (no surprise there), so they have to limit the commercial rating.

So yeah, the F-53 maximum rated numbers aren’t that different, but I expect the way the engine feels will be very different. If nothing else, I hope that the inherent balance of a V8 will make the engine much quieter and less prone to vibration in that 3,900 to 4,000 RPM range.

Another advantage to new V8, according to Ford engineer towards end of video, will be superior engine braking compared to V10, which will help with descending in mountains. The brief EPA comment on how regulations affect ratings is at around 8 minutes of video. We have to ignore the exuberance of the interviewer.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum