Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #15
DogLovers

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
2 hour electrical issue limit

I use the 2 hour rule when I have any electrical issues with my coach. If I haven't found the problem within 2 hours I'm grabbing a beer and calling a repairman.

A few days ago we were preparing to go to Silver Lake Michigan to ride the RZR in the sand dunes. I hooked the trailer up to the RV and began backing into the driveway. The drive being slightly too steep caused the bottom of the trailer hitch to scrape over the trailer plug lead and cut it shorting it out. So now on the eve of leaving for a road trip I had no turn signals or stop lights on the rear of the coach. The running lights all worked, the third brake light worked, front turn signals worked and the tag trailer running lights all worked after replacing the lead and plug but no stop or turn signals on the trailer eiether. I spent a few hours going over everything looking for damage and checking all the fuses reading the manuals and looking over electrical schematics. (3 fuse breaker locations in a Sprinter) My neighbor the electrician came home and I waived him over. Pretty soon my other neighbor showed up and all 3 of us were looking and testing everything we could find for the next hour and a half. We googled, you tubed and called Thor's after hour line. The Thor after hour guy said he had no idea where a fuse might be for the back stop/turn signals but it sounded like it was a Mercedes issue and not a Thor issue.

Next day I drive the hour through heavy traffic with no stop/turn signals to the nearest Mercedes Sprinter service dealer. They check it out and declare the Mercedes wiring is good all the way to the end of the harness and the issue is elsewhere and a Thor problem. Asked them to fix it anyway and I would pay, they declined. So I head back home making calls all the way to try to find service. The nearest Thor dealer is more than an hour away so I get an appointment at the only RV dealer in my town (2 weeks out) on a whim I call a trailer place nearby and tell them about my problem. The guy tells me to bring it in next day and they will see what they can do and it may take some hours to run down the problem. Next morning I drop it off and get a ride home. 45 minutes to 1 hour later they call, it's fixed and ready to go $50.00

Turns out Thor installed a 15 amp fuse in a fuse holder and placed it under the drivers seat buried behind the fuse panel located there. You would never find it unless you knew it was there. Has to be the stupidest place ever to put a stop/tail lamp fuse. They could have easily placed it in the Mercedes fuse block right in front of it because it has at least 10 empty fuse locations.

So if your ever in need of electrical coach lighting repair in Northwest Indiana I highly recommend "Lot-O-Fun in Schererville Indiana.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum