Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 01:55 AM   #1
Mr Sunshine

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Trimark latch fail

Sometimes the worst thing happens at the best time! While the Thor rep was speaking to our rally group on Saturday, Mrs S texted me that she was "locked" in our Vegas. I skipped out for a few minutes and quickly ascertained that I wasn't going to get it open from the outside either. When our Thor rep was finished with the group presentation, he grabbed his power screwdriver and followed me to my campsite. Nothing like having one of Thor's top 4 mechanics working on my problem!

I got a great photo of him about halfway into the curbside window, but decided against posting it. He quickly disassembled the latch and lock mechanism and removed the flimsy pot metal plunger that had broken. When reassembled without the plunger, we can secure the door with the deadbolt, which got us home OK.

After sticker shock from a new digital latch, $260 again from just a replacement from that big bad dealership, $190, I left the solution until Monday. On Monday, I called Kevin at TriMark and he acknowledged the problem and said all their units come with a steel plunger now. He suggested a very workable solution that made me happy.

I promised him I wouldn't post the phone number but will tell you that I found it on the WinneOwners.com forum.

The same thing happened with our previous 2007 coach only I was the one inside that time. That time, I got the latch assembly open from the inside and still it wouldn't release. Friends ended up removing the door to get the latch released. Same Trimark pot metal crap.

Turns out Thor had a choice to put in the steel model, but chose to save a few coins. Grrrrrrrr.

Scott, the Thor rep, made a lot of folks happy that day with quick fixes and solutions, but none more so than Mrs S!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum