Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Tire pressure
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #30
Quattro

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #17179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...etermine.4622/

I really dislike the tire pressure conjectures.
Exact psi manufacturers recommendations are meant to protect the manufacturer, nothing else.
Tires can safely operate over a huge range of pressures and temperatures.

Check the link above.
See if it makes sense.
Do what's shown in the link above.
You can chase Temps and pressures forever. It's a hobby for some.
I promised I was not going to reply to this thread again, yet this one sucked me back in.

I agree that that tires can operate over a relatively large range, especially over the recommended pressure for a load, but the link you provided is just not applicable in an RV/commercial application. Most RVs use steel casing radial tires. Steel cables provide greater strength and carrying capacity, yet they are more sensitive to overload/underinflation fatigue. You do not want to be setting tire pressures by putting hands on your tire or measuring footprints (unless these pressures are above the recommended). It is not that complicated.

1. If your vehicle has not been weighed:
Do not let the pressure get below the placard recommendation from your RV

2. If you vehicle has been weighed:
Run no less than the recommended pressure for the actual loads

It is as simple as that. As temps get colder, you will have to add psi to get up to one of those points described above.

Pressure will increase as you drive, no problem, the manufacturers have taken that into account.

If you want to measure footprints, put your hands on the tires, improve ride characteristics, etc.. and adjust pressures up, fine. Just make sure your pressures do not drop below either point 1 or 2 above.

I do not want to sound snarky, but this can be a serious issue. As I stated in my earlier post, if the pressure you need to carry the load is 100psi and you have 80psi or lower in that tire, it is considered "run-flat". It should be removed from the vehicle and inspected. It doesn't matter if it is a cold morning. By the time you "warm" up the tire, at 500 revs per mile, the tire will be experiencing mechanical damage.

One last note on the link that was provided concerning "chalk" pressure settings. They are doing static footprint measurements. Forces in tires change fairly dramatically as you introduce speed to equation. Centrifugal forces can be significant.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum