Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Hawes View Post
Newbie to the RV world and this is my first post. I apologize for it being a long one. I'm retiring in the spring and my DW and I plan to do a fair amount of traveling the US and Canada by RV over the next 10+ years. We've put aside $ for an RV for 20 years, it's almost time to take the plunge, and after much research we are narrowing our focus to the ACE 29.2 or AXIS / VEGAS 24.1.

.....cut.....
If you're new to RV world, I suggest renting a motorhome for a long weekend or longer and drive it to the kind of places you plan to visit. Try refueling in city gas stations, park it at grocery store, etc. Ultimately you are the only one who can determine what works for you.

I haven't traveled in either of the two units on your list, but have many 1000s of miles with 30~31 ft motorhomes. On the road they drove easy enough, and it's only in tight parking lots that their size was a significant issue. Except for some parks that limited site availability by motorhome size, and a couple of roads that limited motorhome size to 25 or 27 feet. That's rare though.

I personally like small RVs, but figure that if the motorhome can't be parked in a standard parking space, then it might as well be as large as needed. A little extra lenght doesn't affect cost or fuel economy that much as long as everything else is similar.

For what it's worth, I often parked a 24-foot-long motorhome in some standard spaces by backing in and letting the long rear overhang stick over the curve. With 30~31 footer standard parking places were almost always out of the question.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum