Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 02:50 AM   #65
Handy

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Thor Outlaw 29J
State: California
THOR #16597
Kosmic625, for the most part, yes. I love the lift, it looks great, I can drive with confidence that I have enough ground clearance, there is absolutely no problem with sway, I love the 2" taller BFG tires that it allowed me to put on. The front lift came close to 6" after the alignment allowed it to. The new rear leaf springs came up short at 4.5", but with the taller tires and the back of the motorhome still being taller than the front, I am happy with it. Jeremy was great to work with and is very passionate about his work and customer service. Alignment shops that do motorhomes are limited and my local one would not align the motorhome after the lift kit due to how far off it was. I went down to Weldtec and Jeremy and I took the motorhome over to his alignment shop which does large trucks and is very old school. They did the alignment, maxing out available adjustments, and got the caster and camber within Ford specifications. I think tire wear should be ok. On a perfectly smooth road it holds center properly, but as soon as there is a dip or rise then bump steer causes the wheel to wander left and right. I went back down a second time and talked to the alignment guy about the issue. He told me the alignment is good but when a lift like this is installed then the steering tie rods are no longer parallel to the I-beams and bump steer issues will happen. He told me this is the best I can expect after getting a lift. Jeremy thought it drove ok but when I got back to my rural hometown I realized that the roads around Weldtec were smoother than the roads around my house so he didn't get to experience what I am experiencing. I decided to move forward and start enjoying my new motorhome. I realized that if I had to leave the motorhome at its stock height then I would not have bought it. They are just too low. Two weekends ago my wife and I took it out and I got to do a pretty good shakedown drive on a windy rural road in the desert. While turning the handling is solid and I felt confident pushing the limits in some turns. I imagine that when we do a long trip the wandering steering wheel will tire me out sooner than usual. Monitoring the steering wheel requires full attention and I have been unable to shift my focus to anything more than changing a radio station. I don't think eating an In-N-Out burger while driving will ever happen in this motorhome! I drive a 12,000-pound service truck on a daily basis so I am comfortable driving large vehicles but just accustomed to better tracking in a straight line with zero bump steer. If the 4" lift resulted in less bump steer then I think I would have been happy with that also as long as the 2" taller BFG tires still fit. Have fun with your lift and let me know how it goes!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum