Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 AM   #10
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I appreciate your report on what you learned about the lack of options Thor has when purchasing chassis. Based on some of the equipment on my Windsport, I wouldn't expect Thor to upgrade the alternator, since it would affect the bottom line.

A separate alternator for house loads could work, but since the alternator now charges both the house and engine batteries, the battery isolator would have to be modified or wired differently. As it is now set up, I presume when there is an engine alternator failure, the gas, diesel, or propane generator could be used to supply electricity to the chassis, enabling the motor home to be driven.
According to specs some manufacturers upgrade to factory higher-capacity alternators. And perhaps Thor does it also on higher-cost motorhomes -- I don't know. I agree it's cheaper to stay with standard alternator size, but the cost to upgrade is very reasonable if done at time of purchase.

On the F-53 Ford has standardized on 175 Amps, which could be matched or surpassed for about $100 more or less (can't recall exact cost). We are not talking about a lot of cost.

Regarding the isolator, there would not be a need for one if there were two engine driven alternators. Isolation would be physical between alternators. One alternator would be wired to run the chassis as it is in all cars, and the other would be wired only to the house batteries. The main point in having two alternators is to separate (i.e. -- divorce) the two systems completely.

In fact, most engineers would say that longer term the house electrical system doesn't even have to run at the same voltage. Short term it would be easier to buy DC lights, pumps, etc. if a voltage is kept at 12 or 24, but longer term 36 or 48 may be more efficient.

Additionally, a second alternator can be set up with external regulator optimized for deep-cycle, AGM, or lithium batteries. By virtue of having two permanently isolated systems, batteries could be very different without risk of damage caused by charging differences.

I'm sure two alternators is the future. It makes too much sense to ignore. There may be issues but they'll figure them out.

First Mercedes offered brackets to mount a second alternator on Sprinters, and now RAM HD trucks offer an option for dual alternators, each in the 180- to 220-Amp range.

As an example, that's enough to power an air conditioner while driving down the road without having to run the generator. And the RAM option cost is under $400. Ford can and should do the same in my opinion.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum