Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Scary stuff
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 01:34 AM   #4
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Batts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
DW and I were sitting in our new coach today 3 weeks into a snowbird trip to Florida. We both smelled something nasty and caustic. After a good while I discovered that one of the two 12V house batteries was literally boiling and smoking noxious white fumes. The case was hot enough that some of the wiring insulation was beginning to melt. Got everything disconnected and apart. The hot battery had just over 10V but it’s connected mate that was still cool was only showing 5V. Best guess is a dead shorted cell and the converter was trying its darndest to get the voltage up, cooking the bad battery. I’m no expert but looked to me to be on the razor edge of a catastrophe! Batteries had a date code of 18 months ago and and Interstate warranty of just 12 months. Argh! 2 new batteries and all seems to be well again. Maybe the coach builder (SOB) will reimburse me since we’ve only owned it for 4 months. I think it sat on the dealers lot for over a year so probably their neglect damaged it or it had a manufacturing defect. DW was very, very alarmed! Never a good thing....
Our 2019 Bay Star was built in August of 2018 and the house batteries died a few months ago. Interstate wouldn't give us the time of day since they were over one year old. Newmar told me that it was a dealership responsibility as to how the batteries were cared for. Dealership paid me for one new original battery ($120?) which I used toward two AGM 6 volts. Glad you were okay.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum