Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 04:35 AM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Indeed series hybrids are much simpler but less efficient for long distance/highway travel as there are more losses between the generator and motor than there would be by simply driving the wheels from the gas engine.

The Volt (and many hybrids) can be either a series or parallel hybrid to maximize the efficiency for all the various situations they may face (stop & go, highway driving, rural driving, etc.).

In practice I’m not sure it makes much difference in highway efficiency. Generators and electric motors are fairly efficient, while the mechanical transmission was not 100%. And if the simpler drivetrain makes vehicle lighter overall, it will need less power at driven wheels, which helps offset lower power-transmission efficiency.

The other thing to consider is where are most miles driven? If first 100 km are pure electric, the amount of gas spent beyond that won’t be much on an annual basis. Maximizing efficiency through lighter weight may have a larger impact overall.

I’m not sure, but expect difference isn’t much. Either way, I’d always take simple over complex even if it costs a bit more gas once in a while. A single transmission repair would offset any gas savings for the life of a vehicle.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum