Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #18
Tom N3EQF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Most of the Ford models in recent years that are published to be acceptable for towing include the instruction to disconnect the battery as the final step. (I tow a 2018 Ford Focus, with this same instruction specified by Ford). This is specific to certain Ford models - no correlation at all to Honda or Chevy cars!

The reason for Ford specifying the battery disconnect is NOT to prevent the battery from being drained by towing! The reason is that the newer automatic transmissions are electronically controlled. If the battery is left connected, there is every possibility that the transmission will be severely damaged.

You can easily find cases both within this forum and on the internet in general where this has happened when the battery disconnect rule is ignored.

Adding a "remote" battery disconnect is easily done. I added it to my Focus and with a push switch under the dash I can easily disconnect (and reconnect) the battery when towing behind the RV.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum