Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #16
vmachnig

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29J
State: Florida
THOR #12972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You want to do your homework as Bob said above....

Not only is the Outlaw 29J garage one foot shorter than the 29H at 8' they dropped the weight capacity in the garage from 1500lbs to 1000lbs.

I purchased a 29H to carry my Spyder a couple years ago. The 2018 29H was the last year that the Spyder would just fit.

I also learned that the 1500lb weight rating in the garage was bogus.... and I think that is why the shortened the garage and lowered the weight rating after the 2018 model.

While the garage could physically hold 1500lbs, it puts the GVWR well over its legal rating. The GVWR rating is a bit of a joke to begin with as it is. With a full load a fuel, propane and water and some gear you are just about at the max GVWR.

My Spyder weighed 1000lbs and once I loaded it in the garage I was 1000lbs overweight.

I installed Sumo Springs and Hellwig Sway Bars and it greatly improved the handling and ride quality both empty and full. However the stock tires were at the max and I was concerned of a blowout given they were overloaded with the Spyder and about at their max with just the weight of the coach.

I was about to install Goodyear Commerical Rated 16" tires that would have given me over an additional 2000lbs of carrying capacity but we traded in the 29H for a Super C.

I have a 29J and I carry two bikes, both Softails. One is a Deluxe and the other is a Breakout.
Both fit with little room to spare. My Deluxe is the longer of the two and I have it set up more like a bagger with rear trunk etc. I do have to turn my front wheel to make it fit. As far as weight capacity the message above is wrong. I had seen that in their brochure that it was 1000LBS capacity but the tag in the unit was 1500 LBS. Before I bought it I checked with Thor directly (I also had it put in writing) that the literature was printed incorrectly and it is actually 1500 LBs. You will also need a ramp extender ( I have a different design then the one pictured) because you will bottom out otherwise. Do you know what your bikes exact length is? I can then tell you by your measurement if it will fit.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum