Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRV View Post
So it looks like I might do the front sway bars and steering stabilizer at the same time. The documentation from the stabilizer says to do the sway bar first and if I do the work myself, I can afford the price right now. I am more of a computer guy than a car guy, but I am thinking of doing this myself. However, I have some questions.

Do I need any specialty tools such as a torque wrench or impact driver? These may not be considered specialty tools to a some, but they are to me.

Do I need jack stands or is it done while the RV is on the ground?
Are there any gotchas that you found while doing it that were not fully explained in the instructions?
I did the work myself on my Class C with the E-450.

I used the Levelers to raise the chassis high enough to remove the old sway bars and install the new ones. You can put some block under the suspension in the highly unlikely case an issue with the Levelers occur and they start to retract.

The Steering Stabilizer is about as easy as it gets. I didn't even have to raise the coach to do it. Not sure about the Class A E-450 but you might have to lift it a little.

You can get an inexpensive torque wrench from Harbor Freight Tools that should be good enough to do the job.

An impact wrench can be helpful but a good breaker bar will work in most places. I have an impact wrench but I was able to break everything free with a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. My coach was still relatively new when I did my upgrades so there wasn't any rust or corrosion so most everything came off easily.

It can be helpful to have a extra set of hands but I managed to do it all on my own.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum