Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Just wondering
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #20
AJMike

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I think the last time I worked diesel vs gas break evens I came up with 139,000 miles before the premium for diesel is paid for, then you're left with another 139.000 miles to make up pennies per mile to get ahead of the gas initial and ongoing costs. I think the oil change differential might move it all to. 200,000 mile break over.

The allure of diesel used to be less moving parts and fuel injection when carbs were the norm, no distributor, no spark plugs, cheaper fuel.

No gas distributors, no carbs, 200,000 mile spark plugs, gas is often to always less money than diesel... No allure other than torque.
I have never spent much time trying to determine the break-even point but I think you may not have considered that the trade-in value for a diesel RV should be considerably higher than that for a gas RV and that would also need to be factored in to the break-even point.

In addition much of it depends upon the relative gas and diesel fuel prices and right now gas is much, much less expensive where I live in southern Arizona. I see gas for a little over $2.00 a gallon while diesel is still $2.60.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum