Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 11:36 PM   #29
cavie

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Please explain what you mean by “separating” the grounds and neutrals? I’m talking about the same type of connection as a present 30A but with an extra 30A hot leg (L1, L2, neutral, and ground). The adapter would not use the extra leg for existing 30A RVs. I’m not following your objection.

When people connect their existing 30A to a 50A (240V typical 50A 4 wire), they just don’t use one of the two hot legs. Those adapters are used all the time already, although as I’ve said in other threads, the 50A breaker does not protect wiring from 50A pedestal to 30A main breaker at motorhome panel. That’s why I wouldn’t use one myself

However, if you had 30A version of the 50A 4-wire at campgrounds, the adapter would use L1 or L2, plus the neutral and ground for existing 120V 30A RVs.

For what it’s worth, these adapters are also already manufactured (about $20), and since pedestal breaker would be limited to 30A on both L1 and L2, wiring from pedestal to RV would be protected at 30 Amps.
For what it is worth as an electrician I know exactly how the adapters work. An existing 30 amp service has 3 wires. A 240 volt service would require 4 wires. You tell me how you would plug in your 4 wire cord into a 3 wire cord and have 4 separate wires into the existing 30 amp RV. Neutrals and grounds are and must be separate. It is very obvious the 2 hots have to be separate. You would have to remodel the 30 amp RV service with a new panel with a double pole main breaker and service cord.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum