Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 01:53 AM   #37
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLGA View Post
I have a 2020 Vegas 24.1 that is pre-wired for solar panels with 2 12v batteries, what size (watts) panels would in need for 1 to 2 days of dry dock and if I correct panels are mainly for lights and outlets, not running air conditioner.. I would like to mount them.
By default, the Vegas doesn't have an inverter - so the 12v is powering the lights, CO/smoke/propane detector, furnace controls and blower, and control panel for the fridge / water heater (which needs propane or 110v AC as well).
No 110V outlets are powered, nor are the major appliances (AC, microwave).

In a 2020, I would hope the lights are all LED - so the draw should be low unless running the furnace. But depends what else you might want to plug in... a laptop, cpap machine, tv (if 12v capable), inverter to power other 110V devices.

I've found I can easily go a weekend (3 days/2 nights) without any charging on my batteries... I do have all LED lighting, 12v LCD TV and Blu ray player, 12v fan in bedroom, and a laptop... but no inverter and no furnace.
If I need A/C, I'm running the generator, and that charges the batteries.

A cold (near 30) night with the furnace needed - a completely different story... I'm running the genny to charge the batteries by morning...

But add up the total watts you want to run - look at capacity of batteries (figure use only 50% of capacity)

The load on an inverter can be a large draw... 100w light bulb (just for comparison) - draws under 1A on 110V... but through an inverter draws just over 8A from the 12v source (plus inefficiencies of the inverter)...

Once you know what you want to draw - you can see how many watts of solar - or if solar is even practical...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum