Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 30 to 50-amp?
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'll admit, as a side note, that I've heard the discussion of whether outlets can be 'wired to the 30amp circuit', but I'm not sure in any electrical scenario how that happens, or whether it has any impact on the fact that BOTH of these circuits have their OWN breakers, meaning that each has full 120v power, and only the breaker itself controls the amperage(usage).
That's 30amps for the RV outlet, and up to 20amp for the 'household' outlet... I don't see how any wiring scheme can change that - each of these breakers are sitting on a POWER BUS that is fed from the utility, each with it's own 120v power.

In a scenario where someone might 'rig' another circuit from the 'output' side of the 30amp breaker, I can see where the two 'circuits' would then be pulling thru the 'same' breaker, but these RV boxes are not, and cannot be, wired that way. Each breaker has it's own power supply.
If you are saying that the upstream 'MAIN' breaker, somewhere in another utility box only accessible by the campground maintenance dpt, has a 30amp 'Main' Breaker supplying this RV Post, then yes, you might be right, but Electrical rules don't allow that, and these boxes are not 'built' or 'designed' for that - each Breaker has it's own full 120v supply.

Do RV pedestals 'share' the 120v power? Sure, that common, but that does NOT mean that they are sharing 'AMPERAGE' limits, as their own breakers determine that. If you think about it, many homes 'share' the same power supply, but EACH has it's own breaker panel and it's own 120v/240v supply, with NOTHING to do with the neighbor. RV parks are the same way.

So, in assumption, each Circuit, with a Breaker, has it's own FULL usage of amperage for that circuit - whether the 15/20amp outlet is being used at the SAME TIME as the 30amp RV outlet makes NO difference. I will bet, in any circumstance, that the utility MAIN breaker for this RV Pedestal is at least a 100amp double-pole 240v power supply, powering several other RV Pedestals at the same time. And, using that power supply, it could provide FULL 120v Power to at least FOUR different RV sites. If it is a 200amp 240v Main breaker, it could supply 8 or more. And, if a 400amp Main breaker, which is more normal now, up to 16 or more rv sites, with this same 30, 15/20 box configuration.
Now, if the park also has some box with the 50, 30, 15/20 outlet configurations, even MORE normal now, then there will be a lesser number of the RV Pedestals on each 'run' of the Main Breaker, but there will also just be more 'MAIN' breakers, and/or panels, from the utility.

Yes, they are 'sharing' electricity, but that does not in any way impact each site's own usage of their OWN circuits - if the box has both a 30amp RV outlet with it's own 30amp breaker, and a 15/20 outlet with it's own 20amp breaker, then you have a combination of usage of up to 50amps at 120volts, just like the adapter first mentioned is designed for.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum