Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 01:53 AM   #34
SamNavy

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34B
State: California
THOR #19439
Hey all!
Made it into town yesterday and already saw a half-dozen houses with the realtor. Hopefully the offer we put in today sticks!

Since the maintenance never ends, here's the latest.

I noticed here at the campground during a routine walkaround that the hot water heater plastic plug appears to have been slow-leaking for awhile due to the calcium buildup. I pulled the plug which drained the tank... it was hand-tight when I took it off. Threw some teflon thread tape on it and put back on with a wrench (not too much oompf).

NOW NEITHER HOT WATER METHOD WILL WORK!

GAS: Could hear and smell gas, no light. Would light 3x times with a stick-lighter stuck in the tube, but go out after about 5 seconds. The red light on the wall switch would illuminate and stay illuminated, but when trying one time, I think I caught a flash (spark) from the switch and now nothing happens.

110AC: Nothing. The water heater is under the kitchen sink. When I pulled back a panel, I saw an open electrical panel that due to the dust inside has probably been open for a decade and noticed a wire connected to a relay? appeared burnt. This panel also looked freshly leaked on and it appears the sink was dripping directly onto it. I fixed the sink leak with some teflon tape and wiggled all the wire and tightened some of the twist-connectors. Still no hot water.

NO HOT WATER AFTER TANK DRAIN AND OTHER ADVENTURES! Both methods could have failed from some common cause like draining the tank, but have no clue how. Or it could be coincidence and I need to troubleshoot both systems.

Anybody have an "easy button" to try first?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20200715_205242206.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	24946   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20200715_205336109.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	24947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20200715_205256921.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	24948   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20200715_205309520.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	24949  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum