Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I picked up a small battery monitor so I wouldn't have to test my entire battery bank's output with a voltmeter. I'll still use it to test each individual battery but want to get a collective reading without having to prop the step up with a screwdriver all the time to test total output. I like the idea of pushing a button - one and done.

I'd like to mount the monitor in or near the factory panel, though the countertop cabinet would be much easier.

I guess the first question would be where the factory panel Batt indicator lights get their reading from? I'd like to use the factory panel in a couple of ways.

1) so everything is neatly pulled together in one place
2) cut the factory panel in the lower left corner to house the monitor
3) possibly leverage the Batt indicator inputs to drive the new monitor instead of drilling through the floor to run entirely new lines.

Can anyone shed some light on this approach before I go tearing into things? I believe the factory panel is plastic so cutting it shouldn't be a big deal. I full time and can't afford to have it totally out of commission or let it sit in storage until I fix whatever I broke in the process. The LP and FW indicator lights well. Just the tank sensors that are worthless.

Thanks in advance for insight you can provide. If you have examples, I'd appreciate that as well.

Safe Travels.

p.s. oddly enough, it didn't come with instructions or they forgot to pack them? I used 'battery monitor install' for search. I read the Victron Monitor install, but that mostly addresses wiring and not mounting. Jerry's Hurricane Mods came up in a general search but not in any specific post(s)? It seems search is treating the keywords separately instead of as a phrase. Time is money and search results are cumbersome at best.
The voltage at the control center pad is measured at the input to the fuse panel. in the power center. The only problem with is the voltage read when on shore power or when the generator running is is the voltage of the converter and not the battery voltage. The shunt for the Victron is the actual battery voltage and can be read with the use/store (master power off) in store. In my coach the bathroom's hall wall is hollow with a wire chase. From under the bed, a wire can be chased around the bathroom and under the sink into the wall chase. there is plenty of space to mount the EMS monitor and the Inverter control and display (which monitors battery voltage) panel.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum