Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 01:39 AM   #27
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
As I was washing today, and finally having a little time to start looking ours over closely, I'm too becoming a bit disheartened by the whole thing. Of course I know for the price point it is what it is, but am quickly loosing faith that it will hold together long term.

I found a piece of "residue" under the vinyl flooring, so it's bubbling up in that spot, which I have no idea how one would fix, the cabinets are starting to come apart after 10K miles, and screws are coming loose all over the place that won't re-tighten.

Also put her up on the jacks today to see what kind of "flex" I get, and noticed a screw under the seam seal that's trying to escape. Then while up there looking, found that the seam has no sealant on the back side (back of what picture shows), which is exactly where the A/C normally drains off the roof, so that is a big concern. Also, rubber membrane for the big slide is very poorly applied and has gaps all along it that are not water tight.

Was going to try and make this unit work for us, but thinking it might be better to take the beating trading/selling and move on.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...icture1285.jpg

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/me...icture1284.jpg
The driver's side of the cap is where I have the separation issue but on the passenger side there is a screw head trying to push through the molding like the one in your picture.

I've only got just under 7000 miles on mine. I have had a laundry list of issues... but most where minor that I could fix myself or Thor sent me parts s I could do the work myself.

It is the structural issues that are a concern. I also am disappointed to hear about your cabinets coming apart. That is just uncalled for.

The guys that assemble these coaches have their screw guns set at max power and they just over tighten every screw. I found a bunch on my last coach and this one as well.

I just put a set of mud flaps on this weekend and was attaching them to the exiting plastic flaps they have protecting the bins behind the rear wheels. They have a metal strip across the center of the plastic flap and then they have it attached to the sheet metal on the inner wall to keep them from flapping around. Of course one side was missing the screws because they over tightened the screws and stripped the sheet metal.

The vertical weather strip on the slide wall was coming off last year and I had them fix it. Now I just noticed it is again. It is just held on with adhesive. I am going to try to clean the old adhesive and fix it myself.

It is disheartening. We really do like the coach. There are only a few options and none great. The choices are.......

- Try to get Thor to fix as much as possible while it is under warranty. I only have a little more than 2 months of warranty left but my issues are documented and I will be going to Wakarusa. Of course the big questions is what will go wrong after the warranty.

- Once the warranty has expired take it to an RV speciality and restoration shop and pay them to fix everything right as things fail. That could add up in terms of money and lost time using the coach.

- Take a hit and trade it in.... and spend another $75K - $150K on a better built coach.

- Just live with it.

I'm trying not to make any emotional decisions at the moment. I may write a very politically correct letter to Thor executive management outlining all of the issues of my coach and similar issues being reported by other owners as well as the amount of time I have lost using the coach and then ask for a warranty extension. This is my second new Thor coach so if they want to keep me as ae t customer they can decide to do something or not in terms of customer service.

The challenge is you can spend another $100K (or more) on another make and model and still have more than just minor issues. If the coach works for us, I wonder if it would be better and cheaper in the long run to just get things fixed right as they come up.

Someone told me about this place about 2 hours from us in Erie, PA that does great RV work. They do complete restorations from interior to exterior. I wonder if it would be cheaper in the long run to let an RV expert fix things right.

RV RESTORATION AND UPGRADES - Bonnell's Truck and RV

I don't know. I know I don't have the answers at the moment. I have been looking Dynamax listings tonight for a bit. They do seem like a very quality coach. I just hate to take to take a hit and pay another $100K plus I have money into this coach with a bunch of upgrades as well.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum