Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
Bill in Redlands

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
For background,

We have a 2016 Axis 24.2 but, in fact, it is built on a 2015 Ford E350 chassis. I guess it was an early model in the year and perhaps Thor was working through inventory?

I installed two lithium batteries late last year and really like the battery life they provide. I also installed 400 watts of solar on the roof and a recent five-day boondocking trip never really challenged the batteries. This is partly due to the fact that we are very conservative in our use although we do use an inverter, watch movies and such.

Our rig has a BIRD and I considered two approaches – one is the installation of a DC to DC charger that, in essence, isolates the chassis charging system and limits the amperage going to the house batteries. It is a one-way system and does not provide for charging of the chassis batteries from the house system.

The other is installation of a lithium specific BIM in place of the BIRD that limits the load on the alternator by cycling it on and off to keep it from overheating. Both of these alternatives are recommended by Battleborn (my source for batteries and technical assistance) but the BIM is a marginal option for two batteries and better with three or more batteries. I am not an expert, talk to your supplier or installer.

I would like to understand better the specific steps in replacing the BIRD with a BIM.

I like to understand things before making such decisions and I like to do as much as I am comfortable with myself. I have the option of going to a very good RV maintenance shop in my area when I exceed my limits.

For now, I have not decided on a favored solution and I intend to isolate the two systems, at least for now, using a 50-amp breaker that is installed between the chassis battery and the BIRD until I do.

BTW, Thor’s documentation indicates I have BIM but it is clearly a BIRD. I don’t know how much I can count on them as a resource.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum