Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 02:21 PM   #47
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Motorhomes and "real" 4x4s are built for completely purposes, an their frame designs should reflect that.
You are correct: our RVs need as stiff a frame as is possible. The coach simply cannot take the twisting.
4x4s absolutely need a certain amount of frame flex in order to have enough axle articulation to keep all four wheels on the ground. That's what keeps them moving forward.
An RV with a 4x4 option is perfect for the Judge's intended purpose: to solve a problem in a soft campground.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1596114451

You have some things right, and others very wrong.

Chassis flex isn’t needed for articulation. That’s what the suspension is there for. Yes, the chassis twist under load, but that’s a resulting evil, not a desirable trait engineers add to keep wheels on ground.

Additionally, keeping all wheels on ground isn’t necessary for real off-roading when vehicle is set up correctly. That’s why some type of locking differentials are added when one is serious about going to extremes.

Anyway, I knew Judge wasn’t taking his rig off-road, but I’m certain some owners out there will. And it will be interesting to see what happens to those rigs when abused. That should reveal weak points, similar to destructive testing.

Lastly, the F-550 is suitable for off-roading when set up correctly. However, the motorhome has to be designed and built very differently than the one Judge owns. I did not imply or question that his was being driven off road or that that caused the damage.

Example below that motorhomes can go off-road when designed for it. Typically they are much smaller, have much greater ground clearance, and no slides. I’ve seen a few pictures of serious off-road MH with slides, but slides were small.

I’m not going to discuss engineering with you. Will just say that in my opinion large slides must compromise structural integrity.

https://www.beautifullife.info/autom...dition-camper/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E2C7275-A167-478B-A3EE-0C2990BA6861.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	25287  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum