Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #29
Islandsmith

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #14595
I swear I'm not crazy but I think I might be losing my mind. I re-installed the inverter (only this time I connected the ground wires from the AC wires to the dedicated ground mounts on the unit rather than how Thor had done it by just connecting them together).

I ran a long jumper cable from the battery compartment under the rig and into the compartment where the inverter is mounted. Measuring from the negative battery terminal to the negative input on the inverter = 0 volts.

Measuring from the positive battery terminal to the positive input on the inverter = -11 volts. Huh? Let's try that again - I re-positioned the jumper cable on the battery terminal and voila, 0 volts.

OK, let's try measuring from downstream of the fusible link in the battery compartment. 0 volts on the positive side, 12.6 on the negative side.

Here's where it gets strange - I suddenly hear the inverter fans come on. Turns out it was turned on when I connected it and now it's running fine. The display panel shows input of 12.5volts. Could something have been loose in the connection to the inline fuse that I jostled when attaching the jumper cable?

Next headscratcher - after a while the voltage starts to drop because the fridge kicked on. I started the generator to make sure the batteries would charge and low-and-behold - nothing is charging from the generator.

At this point I'm sitting with a beer pouring over wiring diagrams trying to figure out where to go next. The best thing that could happen here is for lighting to strike tonight and cause a total write-off situation.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum