Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #18
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
"Most OEM coaches do not have a sub-panel..."

this is seemingly true, but my coach DOES have a sub-panel, and yet for several years I even did NOT realize it - it's integrated RIGHT INTO the Main Panel, which is a custom panel design by Progressive that is built for the factories for these coaches with 'whole house' inverter wiring designs - it makes it 'easy' for the factory install.

So, I have a 50amp 240v coach - where the 'A' hot leg provides power to 'every other breaker, and the 'B' hot leg that provides power to the others, although there is really a set of 4 15amp breakers on the far right that are NOT part of either of these hot legs, but are powered by the INVERTER.
Just 'looking' at the main panel's breakers, you wouldn't readily know this. But, when you have TWO 30amp breakers that both read: "Inverter Main", you start to ask yourself 'why' would I have two of these?

The first one is the Shore or Generator power TO the Inverter AND it's integrated Battery Charger. When you are on Shore or Generator power, the Inverter allows this 120v power to 'pass thru' to the sub-panel set of breakers, for all the outlets in the coach.

The SECOND one is actually the Inverter's 120v output for when you ONLY have the Inverter power and no shore or generator. This 30amp breaker is actually wired 'backwards', allowing the black wire to feed back into the breaker and to a 'power buss' where the sub-panel 15amp breakers all get there feed.

Crazy. True. and it works just fine!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum