Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Sumos are more of an airless airbag than a bump stop.

Bump stops are fairly solid and hard pieces of rubber with very little ability to absorb sudden compressive shocks to the suspension. They are typically small with a significant air space between the axle housing and the bump stop so when you hit a large bump, bridge transition, pot hole, etc. you feel a very abrupt and jarring jolt when the bump stop slams against the axle housing.

Sumo springs are larger and designed to be more like an airbag. They are made of a material that can compress and absorb bumps. Depending on which capacity option you select, it will hit that weight at 50% compression. Most Sumo's can also be installed with or without a spacer (installer's choice).

Without the spacer installed, there is a small gap between the Sumo and the suspension housing. It takes more suspension travel until they begin providing any benefit.

With the spacer, there is no gap between the Sumo and the axle housing. In this configuration the Sumo is immediately providing some additional support to the suspension and will begin to absorb impact to bumps in the road.

I have installed Sumo's on an E-450 and an F-550 suspension. I personally could tell a noticeable difference in ride quality on both chassis. I also installed them on all four corners. In both cases I installed the Sumo's with the spacer installed because of the weight a motorhome chassis carries.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum