Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #35
Projectman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #18508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What year is the RV?

Did you apply all by hand or use buffer?

What did you put on the decals?
2017 Vegas 24.1

Applied with a rotary buffer With wool pads after watching about 20 hrs of YouTube gelcoat boat videos.

Lots of work. Did the same to the decals first and separately. Used a small 3” wool pad. Need to keep moving over the surface with enough lubrication and not too much pressure. I was nervous to burn through at first but just keep an eye on them. On and off quickly and buff to see how it’s progressing, then a bit more if needed.

I found that I had to mask them off after doing them because of the amount of time I had to spend buffing the oxidation out. When I would get near the decals, they would smear black residue onto the main surface and cause more haze and work to remove. First time doing this. A bit of trial and error. Not for the faint of heart but then, I was never afraid of tackling something new.

I will definitely keep it up now. Lots of effort to bring it back once the sun bakes into the gelcoat. Pics below show masking and a side by side before and after.
Click image for larger version

Name:	244CDC59-5593-478C-BA64-EAE28478E176.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	26348

Click image for larger version

Name:	46E36533-53B5-4F77-A24D-CF14BF26987C.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	26349

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum