Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New Ford 6.8L
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
The real question for me is what will this new engine be based on? Will it be high-tech like the 5.0L V8 in F-150 and Mustang, or low-tech based on OHV pushrod design to keep size, weight, and cost lower?

Most opinions assume a smaller version of the “low-tech” 7.3L OHV V8, but who’s to say Ford won’t upgrade the existing 6.2L V8 in displacement to 6.8L and install DOHC heads to create a larger version of the Coyote 5.0?

A modern 6.8L DOHC V8 could make over 500 HP and 550 lb-ft in pick-up tune, and even more in Mustang tune, which would exceed EcoBoost ratings. However, its large physical size makes this unlikely in my opinion.

On the other hand, Ford may be able to get 500 HP out of an OHV 6.8L low-tech V8 at lower cost than an EcoBoost V6.

I’m interested to see actual engine details.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum