Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #17
JimOIB

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I’d like to put a little finer point(s) on my previous post. We have a FW24F about the same size as your coach. We visit our daughter in central KY for 2 weeks over the Christmas holidays and stay in the coach - average daytime/nighttime in 45 and 30 respectively. And last year we did a Great Lakes trip in April/May - it was cold in the UP.

Our game plan that has served us well is the following.

1) Close curtains in the cab over to keep from heating that space at night.
2) We have DIY curtains installed between the cockpit and coach - no need to heat that space at night either.
3) 1500W electric oil heater - tried a 700W but it didn’t keep up.
4) Propane furnace set to 65 and it comes on maybe 3 times a night (early morning).
5) Who ever gets up first cranks the heat to 72 and we are good.
6) Tank heaters on when the forecast is below 35 degrees.
7) We have reflectix in the windows that the wife has lined with flannel cloth - 2 layers of heat blocking.
8) We keep about a quarter tank of fresh water on hand for the bathroom.

All of the other suggestions are excellent and we have adopted some of them as well.

One thing we find in a full wall slide is a lot of cold air comes in under the slide - I should say the hot air in the coach leaves the coach under the slide. My wife made draft dodgers for under the full wall slide as well as for under where the night tables/bed meets the wall when extended. We don’t like cold drafts - that's why we left NH. The first couple of nights in the cold and you will know exactly where the drafts are. We took 2 lengths of copper pipe foam insulation with us the first time and used them as a stop-gap. Draft dodgers came after that.

A good pair of slippers to keep toes warm are essential.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum