Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #23
lwmcguire

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
One option AGM batteries offer versus flooded is being able to place them inside; although many prefer batteries outside the living space even though AGM don’t have the same level of gassing as flooded batteries. I have seen quite a few van campers (both do-it-yourself and factory built) with batteries inside living space. Since inside of coach is cooled and heated, battery temperatures remain closer to ideal even when camping below freezing.

Some new vehicles like Ford Transit have AGM batteries located under seat, so unless they are vented through floor, makes me think that Ford deems it acceptable to install them inside.
I have noted the same over the years. In our home we have several smaller AGM's that are connected to charging systems 24/7 for years. In particular the stair chair and alarm system are the larger ones.

Should a charger fail and continue to provide voltage I could see an issue and if I were to mount any inside in a smaller tight space such as a motor home it would be a good thing to have some kind of alarm or monitor just in case. Haven't ever heard of an issue and we never have. Our inside AGM battery life is around 10 years and then they die slowly rather than just overnight.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum