Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Not so much of a guess at all.

It's all about tongue weight, and the design of motorhomes. Using a wrecker's lift is not practical for a motorhome.

The rear bumper, (and tow hitch), of most motorhomes is located several feet behind the rear axle.

In engineering terms, that creates a big lever. In layman's terms, you lose steering capability and control.

I think it would be great fun to watch a 35'+ long bath and half gasser with a wrecker's lift loading up a 2or3 ton pickup for towing. I can almost hear the fiberglass siding buckling and cracking just thinking about it! Or, a 40'+ long DP attempt the same thing, and watching the oil pan scrape the pavement leaving a cool trail of sparks.
You don't need to communicate engineering with me in "layman's terms".

And this is not the same as tongue weight -- it's actually worse. I know that, which is why I said the motorhome has to be designed for this particular application for it to be successful. It's no different than motorhomes with car garages, or toy haulers in that it has to be taken into account up front.

And from an engineering standpoint, that's the easiest thing of all.

P.S. -- In case you missed it before, these kinds of lifts attach to frame rails, and not to a hitch. I'll look for picture of better example.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum