Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #31
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
10 - 12 mpg would equal what the pickups get with the V-10. I think that is a bit unrealistic given that the Axis/Vegas units are larger, much less aerodynamic, and weigh in at least 4,000 lbs heavier than a comparable F-250, or F-350.
My E-350 van with V10 typically gets between 14 and 16 MPG on the highway -- with about 15 MPG being common at around 70 MPH (which I would not consider conservative driving if in a Class A motorhome). A couple of times I got 16 MPG by holding speed around 60+ MPH.

You mention getting around 8 MPG with your truck pulling a 5th wheel trailer, right? I'd guess that your combined weight of truck and trailer was much higher than that of your Axis, and that the height and width of your trailer was larger too. Yet you got 8 MPG and now get 8.5 MPG? That's not much of a difference.

These Axis are geared too low for optimum fuel economy. Compare to much larger F53 motorhomes, the total gearing is about the same. That creates waste. Granted they will drive slightly better with lower gearing, but fuel economy suffers.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum