Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #6
TyCreek

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Tail wag, Yaw/Yawning and See-Saw ...

You've had many threads started and received several answers... The last one started as a new thread looks to me as asking to justify a Safe t bar or maybe rather a safe-t-plus... people responded to your other threads singing praises thereof.

In another thread you already aligned it and that your tires were inflated correctly ... so if you're still unhappy ... I can only assume there's quite some doubt and floundering about what to do next.

My take:
Safe-T-Plus reduces the drivers tendency to feel yawning and therefor reduces the tendency to amplify it with back and forth steering wheel motions (See-Saw). For sure, that is a GOOD thing but it doesn't actually reduce the source of wag/yaw in the first place. FWIW... I had a Safe-T-Plus on previous E chassis and removed it because I didn't like fighting its return to center forces when driving roads it wasn't adjusted for. I found a heavier dampened stabilizer gave me the similar benefits without the return to center forces at play. With that said I would still consider a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer again due to our travel style having more primary type roads these days.

To reduce the source of tail wag the front to rear yawning must be tamed. Twist/Yaw happens from bushing play and spring flex. Unlike so many other solid axle vehicles with a panhard bar from the factory, our E chassis doesn't have one. There is nothing other than the spring packs themselves to prevent side to side flex/shift. The good news is that our front suspension does not have axle shift as a factor because each independent arm is much like a panhard bar by design. That leaves just bushings and rear axle for wag to be introduced.

Most Axis/Vegas units discussed here are fairly new so I'd think the bushings should be ok right? LoL ... anyway... the elephant in the room... a trac or panhard bar attaches to the frame and the axle to reduce side to side movement. It has little to no effect on up/down movement or body roll. Just controls that small amount of spring flex where the axle shifts left or right causing the vehicle to steer accordingly. A driver's corrections can start a see-saw or amplified yawning effect with force transfer oscillations back and forth as the driver corrals the vehicle down the road.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum