Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
BillT

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
Update for all you wonderful folks. We decided to go ahead and buy a 2016. We pick it up on Tuesday. Here's what we bought:

#RVTC5813 - 2016 Thor Motor Coach Challenger 37TB for sale in Ringgold VA

We paid 128,000 and got a fair price on my trade in.I paid 85,0000 for my class C last July, and got 69,000 on the trade - which if tax is considered translate to about 75,000.

The folks at RV Outlet USA were fair and didn't play too many calls, except for one call back. For those considering buying in the future here is what I did.

I located and kept notes on the 6 Thor dealers closest to me. I called each and and told them exactly wanted I wanted, and if they didn't have it I wouldn't mind ordering it as I had a motorhome already. Using RV Trader and the MAP prices on it as a starting point, I asked for their best price with my trade - which was a mistake, but I worked though it. More on that in a minute.

I kept notes on the prices they gave me and I was very honest in telling them that I was shopping around and calling several dealers. I told each one the best price I had before they gave me a price. I quickly got to 129,875. Then I called a few remaining and they couldn't beat it or could only come within a couple of hundred, so I figured that was my sweet spot.

Then I called the top dealers back and did the same with my trade value going up. Some were ridiculously low - 48,000. I asked them to repeat themselves, and resisted the urge to ask if they were high. Once I got to 69,000 as my sweet spot for my trade I called back the top dealer - RV Outlet USA, and told them that I was going to wait. They had the best price and I appreciated it, but it was 10,000 over my budget and I was going to wait until the fall or spring and save some more cash. This was a good move. An hour later I got a cal back and they said they could go 2000 lower. This was the deal I took, with no fees of course.

Here are some take aways:
- Camping world is terrible - no matter which one you go to. If you're informed and know what you want and about what you should pay for it, they won't even call you back. Amazing how they got so big.

- If you order a 2017, it should be no more than 3500 more than a 2016.

- Generally speaking, prices on RV's are much lower the more south you go. I can understand this as dealer overhead must be higher in the north.

The only problem I have with driving 600 miles to get my RV is that I can't inspect and make them fix anything before I take delivery. Also, I still have to use my local Thor dealer for service, who I had big problems with and don't really like very much.

That's all for now folks. I pick up the coach on Tuesday. Any advice?

If you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them.

Bill

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum