Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #14
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I agree it's very important to first figure out how RV will be used. And what makes the best solution for each owner so complicated are all the different sources of energy that can be used. There is shore power, propane, solar, engine alternator, etc... And to smooth out peaks the use of batteries is critical, especially now that the RV trend is shifting towards more electric. In any case it seems you can't go too wrong with more battery capacity (except cost and weight).

I was recently reading about a new EarthRoamer built on F-750 4X4 chassis which incorporates 25.3 Kilowatt-hours of battery capacity, 2.4 Kilowatts of solar, and 2 X 3,000 watt inverters. For now the cost of this much technology can only be absorbed by mega-expensive motorhomes, but the cost seems to be declining fairly fast so it may filter down over the next decade or so.

I'm personally looking forward to the day that battery capacity is inexpensive enough to make an all-electric motorhome without a generator practical for us to own. We are almost there now, but lithium batteries need to drop in cost a bit more. And it would also help if more OEMs offered engine choices with second alternators. They are already options on M-B Sprinters, RAM trucks, and Ford diesels, but no mention yet on Ford RV chassis like F-53 or E-Series.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum