Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
Long & Winding road

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Lets talk Tire Pressure.... Yet Again

Lets talk tire presure .... Yet Again.

I was thinking about this last year when I had my blow out on my 2017 Axis (E450 chassis) so I changed what PSI I run now.

I know everyone knows about the Suggested Tire Pressure from the Thor wall sticker (75 F and 80R on my ride).

And I know you can go to the tire manufacture website for the optimal tire pressure for any given load (weight) for your exact tires (80 PSI max on my tires). That way you can get a little better ride if your lighter or if you want to max out your payload etc.

And yes I have scaled out both the front and rear of my RV.... The front was about 500 # BELOW the max (with me on the scale next to the drivers seat) and the rear was like 1200# BELOW the max weight recomended for my chassis with full load / fluids.

Thats not what this tread is about.

Should I go with a Little higher pressure in my front than Thor recommend if I cannot tell any difference?

I been running 76 front and 78 in the rears for about a year - feels the same.

I do have a TMPS now....(should have done it sooner.)

But now Im thinking 78 F / 78 R (cold tire pressure of coarse)

So my reasoning is this.... Since I cannot tell the differance from 72 front and 75 rear when I jumped to 76 F and 78 Rear last year just stick with something closer to my max tire pressure..... It has to help a little with wear and MPG not to mention lower tire HEAT (so that has to be good right?).

I would never run more than the Max pressure on the sidewall.

Plus if you get a leaking tire (Fast or slow) it would give me more time to pull off the road safely?

What do you guys think? Since I dont feel like my ride confort has changed just run 78 psi in all corners? Perhaps even 78 Front and 80 Rear?

I dont need to know WHAT tire pressure to run (I have tried them all) im just wondering if running max or close to max pressure all the time would have any NEGATIVE effect (esp in the front since THor recommend 75 psi). So far I cannot feel any change in handling or comfort so why not go to 78 in the front anyway?

Should I factor in the road heat will add a few PSI to my tires so run 78 max all the way around? or perhaps 77 all the way around?

Any thought on this subject?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum