Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 2017 models
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 AM   #40
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I cannot believe that "the engine doesn't brake at all". That just does not make sense. For some reason that I do not understand, it may not brake as well..... With the 5 Spd on 10% grades it would sometimes downshift two gears and run the rpm up over 4000 - almost too much braking. I wish I could go try mine out, but it will have to wait until this summer.
I agree; not "braking at all" doesn't make sense to me either.

Having said that, there is an explanation that does make sense to me based on my experiences driving in the mountains.

With a fully-loaded 14,500-pound RV, the V10 would easily go towards 5,000 RPM on steep downhills which forced me to occasionally apply the brakes. By comparison, the same V10 in my van provides much more engine braking -- mostly because the van weighs a lot less.

What's happening is that as engines have gotten a lot more powerful for their size (displacement), manufacturers have made motorhomes larger and heavier, so that the engine can't provide as much braking relative to vehicle mass.

One way to provide more engine braking in order to hold a slower steady speed is to first slow down a lot in order to engage a lower transmission gear. On some steep descents I found that starting out around 50 MPH there wasn't enough engine braking to keep the motorhome from accelerating downhill unless I used the brakes. However, on the same grade if I slowed to 30 MPH to access a lower gear, the engine could prevent the MH from speeding up.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum