Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #37
Wiley1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The Normality question comes into play, because the Onan Manual says to only use the Primer bulb when changing fuel filter, or out of gas. If you think it is normal to be out of gas each time you start the Onan, then I would agree it is normal.

I never use the Primer button; so that it why it does not seem normal to me. One should not allow the Onan to run out of gas by simply drying out is my view. Onan has procedure to store the generator.
Darn. Now you've made me pull up the Onan QC 4000 owners manual.
It lists a 5-step starting process which I will condense to:
  1. Turn off all high-current appliances like A/C units.
  2. Prime by holding Stop.
  3. Start by holding Start.
  4. Allow the generator to warm up for a few minutes.
  5. Turn on A/C units and other larger loads.

It does not say what the "normal" cranking time should be before the generator typically starts. But, IMHO, that is a function of how long it has been since the last time the generator was started. Why? Because my Onan generator has a carburetor and a float chamber. One side of the carburetor is open to the atmosphere and the other side leads to the combustion chamber. The longer the generator sits without being run, the less gasoline will be available in the float chamber for starting. That fuel must be replaced, either by priming or cranking or both.

Perhaps your generator starts quickly, without priming, because you run it every time the thought occurs to you.

In my rig, the generator is less than 12 feet from the gas tank.
When the generator is cold, and not used for a several weeks, it takes about 7 seconds of cranking to start after using the Prime function.
Without using the Prime function, it takes up to 25 seconds to start.

I love my Prime button. I believe it exists to shorten the cranking time. Of course it is possible to start the generator without using the prime button, but why would you?

The OP asked whether his Onan is behaving "normally". I believe it is. The manual backs me up.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum