Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #4
phoeg

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
A lesson learned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Red to white and black to white should both be 120 VAC. Depending on your generator, red to black will be either 0 VAC (if same phase) or 240 VAC (if split phase).
Thanks again for the information on the voltages. I have resolved the issue. If I may quote Homer [Simpson]: "D'oh!!!"

I did the voltage test and no power at the generator input. Now I'm concerned. I went back to the generator one last time to check a fuse I saw in a waterproof fuse holder. It was good. I took one last look at the breakers on the generator. Now comes my "D'oh!" moment of nincompoopery.

I flipped the breakers on the generator so they said "On", started the generator and...abracadabra! Power to the coach.

Tonight I learned an electrical convention. The words on the breaker indicate its state, not the direction you throw it to achieve that state. Thus, if the breakers say "Off" it means the power is...off. You don't throw them that direction to turn them off. I confirmed it by checking my workshop's breaker box. (Go ahead and laugh, shake you heads, roll your eyes. I have!)

On the plus side, I found where a lot of my electrical components are mounted, how to test my ATS switch, what voltages are going into the ATS and the voltages between the terminals. So, I learned more about my RV. That's good. I hope my goof helps some other newbie down the line.

Safe travels!

Paul

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum