Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
b-dent

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37XL
State: Maine
THOR #24376
2017 Challenger 37X Electrical issues

I started this thread because of display issues with the Xantrex 1800 display.

As my house batteries were putting out over 6V I thought they were OK. Well come to find out they were very thirsty. They took a gallon of water each. I researched the date codes and found out they are the original house batteries. While I was planning on replacing them anyway ($200 a piece wow’sie) I got the flooded US Battery 145 XC2 one of it’s ratings is 25amps for 562 minutes. So at 12v and 50% discharge 4 should give me 10hrs? Or so. I have not installed them yet I am waiting for the new battery cables (2/0), and going to put an alarm on the battery compartment door. (Actually all the Basement compartment doors.)

So still wondering about the Battery Isolator and the Battery converter / charger, I went to the Thor customer service website and requested info (location and description). They provided a photo of the Battery Isolator, and in a later email told me the converter was under the bed. Why Thor found it necessary to put a device that generates heat inside the coach is beyond me. But it is there. Along with a lot of fuses (momentary and blade) and a relay switch. Again I am very surprised fuses that (at some point) may need replacing are hidden under a bed?

I have to remove the mattress which I can’t do until I move the bed slide out 12" or so. then lift up a storage access door. then move the slide so all the screws holding the plywood cover over this electrical area are exposed. One post said the battery converter / charger was in the power center. I am going to label the storage door and that piece of plywood “Power Center”. Maybe print out a photo and label it too. Anyway for those of you who have one of these. I suggest you look at it.

Mine has several electrical connections which are not quite up to par. There are loose connections and 2 cables that are too big to put into a grounding bar that were put into the grounding bar. They are actually using the bar as a power distribution bar that is not insulated or covered.

I have a bit of learning to do and I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum